Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Sweeter Side of Sunday Mornings: Mocha Fudge Brownie Baked Oatmeal

Well, I'm awake before 11:00. Miracles do happen once in a while... I used to be such an early riser, but I think the fact that I've started staying up until 2:00 AM playing around on the computer (AKA figuring out all the amazing features of a blog) has been taking it's toll on me. In any case, I awoke this morning to the smell of creamy chocolate wafting through the house, seeping into every nook and cranny- including under my shut bedroom door and straight up to my nose buried in my soft, fuzzy pillow.

So began this morning's dilemma: chocolate or sleep? Tough one. Really. I must have laid around for about 15 minutes trying to decide.Pros of chocolate: Well, do I really even have to describe them to you? Deliciousness, Awesomeness, Comfort, Happiness... Pros of sleep: Warm, snuggly bed, Energy, Rest, Better Mood (but then again, the antioxidants in cocoa help with that, too)...
I chose chocolate. Eventually.

Reluctantly, I pulled myself out from those warm, enticing blankets and took a much-needed shower while blasting some Beyonce. Feeling more awake, I came downstairs to see the lovely, scrumptious meal awaiting me... and it was all gone. Gobbled up. Finished. Finito. I guess that's what happens when you have two siblings with high metabolisms.

But, hey, I'm good at improvising. Despite a bit of disappointment at missing out on Dad's brownie batter pancakes, I decided to let it go. It must have been meant to be. Why? So I could create THIS:
A little Ramekin of Heaven

I call it: Mocha Fudge Brownie Baked Oatmeal. And by golly, if that's not enough for you, guess what else? It's HEALTHY. Like I said. Small miracles. Oh, and one MORE thing, just because you're clearly not salivating enough yet:
Pouring on the Cinnamon Vanilla Drizzle!

I served it topped with an amazing little gooey sauce that seeped into every cocoa-y, oat-y, fudgy little bite. And the picture just says it all. My sauce of choice? Cinnamon Vanilla Protein Sauce. For that extra health boost to get you on your feet in the morning.

So am I still upset about the pancakes? Not in the least. What am I upset about? That I only made two of these little guys. :(  Please, don't hesitate to cry. It's a very sad little story, I know.
After Sauce Has Soaked in.... Ohhh I'm getting the chills!

MOCHA FUDGE BROWNIE BAKED OATMEAL
(To make two individual oatmeal cups)
1 Cup Rolled Oats
2 Tablespoons 100% Dark Cocoa Powder
 (it's worth getting high quality stuff. Trust me.)
1-4 Packets Equal Sweetener 
(Depending on your sweet tooth level. I used one, but I really like the bitter cocoa taste)
2 Packets Instant Coffee, any flavor
(I used Hazelnut NesCafe)
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
1/2 Cup Almond Milk (or any milk of choice)
(For an even fudgier taste, use more milk. Or add 1 mashed banana)
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract

CINNAMON VANILLA PROTEIN DRIZZLE
1/2 Scoop Vanilla Whey Protein Mix
1/4 - 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1-2 Tablespoons Water or Milk 
(More will make drizzle a bit thinner so it soaks up into more of oatmeal. Less will leave it thicker and make flavor more intense. You pick. I used 2 Tablespoons water)
*Note, to make more of a flooded oatmeal, just double this recipe*

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two (4oz) ramekins by lightly spraying with vegetable oil, or flouring. 

Combine all ingredients. Stir well until oats are completely coated. Mixture will still be somewhat stiff, unless you are using more milk. I can't personally vouch for the consistency then, but it should be a bit runnier. Equally divide mixture between the two ramekins and pop into heated oven for 13-15 minutes. 

Stir together all components of cinnamon vanilla protein drizzle, if desired. Pour over your oatmeal while still hot and allow to sit for about 1 minute to soak up and become soft.

Pick up your fork that you've been dying to use and start shoveling into mouth eating. ENJOY! I also ate some strawberry greek yogurt, so in just one meal I had over half of my protein needs, about half my calcium needs, 40g of whole grains and ALL UNDER 400 Calories!
And it's all gone :(



Healthy Information 

(Without Protein Drizzle): Calories:190, Fat: 4g, Fiber: 10g, Protein: 7g, Calcium: 10% DV
(With Protein Drizzle): Calories: 240, Fat: 5 g, Fiber: 12 g, Protein: 14 g, Calcium: 25% DV

No comments:

Post a Comment