Wednesday, August 22, 2012

My Oatmeal Obsession

Okay, so yes, it's my third post of the day (technically speaking) but the thing is, I'm just playing catch-up. I have a whole slew of recipes I've made from about a week ago, and that I haven't shared, and I want to get this blog off the ground and full of delicious-ness! So, without further ado, the recipes: (since I have nothing else to say. I've exhausted my stories)
OATMEAL!
I love oatmeal. It's definitely on my list of top 10 favorite foods for its versatility, staying power, heart-warming qualities, and simplicity. What more could you ask for? I eat it for breakfast (most) days, so the variations are steady and I'm learning how to get more creative. (with the help of Lauren, the Oatmeal Artist. I discovered her blog about 2 days ago and it's fantastic! This recipe closely resembles her Blueberry Cashew Oatmeal, minus the nuts, so I guess great minds DO think alike!) My last few attempts are pretty standard, but of course, we all know what went in to them. Any guesses? Bueller? Bueller?

That's right... BLUEBERRIES! They just never run out, do they? Along with my odd personality and ability/ inclination to take terrible pictures. But it tasted good!

Here's the key to really good oatmeal that has taken me far too long to learn, sadly. Make it on the stove! It absorbs so much more water that way and leaves you with much fluffier oats that are also quite a bit more voluminous and filling. Plus, when you take pictures of the cooking, they look really pretty! (The blueberries bleed out and the oatmeal turns purple! It's a freaking miracle!)

Berry Overload Oatmeal

1/2 Cup Rolled Oats
1 and 1/4 Water/Coconut Milk Mix 
(I used 3/4 water, 1/2 milk. You can also use any type of milk you like, or all milk, or all water. It changes the flavor slightly, but you pick!)
Handful Blueberries
Handful Blackberries
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 Packet Sweetener or  2 drops Stevia, or more/less to taste
  1. Heat water/milk to boiling in medium stovepot. Add oats and stir once, then allow to cook for about 3 minutes until they begin to get very fluffy and most of liquid is absorbed. Stir it up!
  2. Add berries and stir again. Reduce heat to medium and cook for another 1-2 minutes until berry juices start to seep out and color the oatmeal.
  3. Remove from heat and add vanilla and sweetener to taste.
  4.  Dish into a little bowl, because it just looks so much better, and ENJOY!
Another Gorgeous View of this Purple Passion!

Blueberry Peach Oatmeal
(A Variation of Berry Overload Oatmeal)
Follow Instructions for Berry Overload Oatmeal, except substituting 1/2 cup thawed frozen peaches for the blackberries. Or in addition if you wish. Also add a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg, and VOILA... you have now transformed it into THIS!

No comments:

Post a Comment