Saturday, August 18, 2012

A New Adventure and Chocolate Espresso Energy Balls

Well, here I am world. Starting a blog. That's true insanity right there.
But then again, I'm a pretty insane person. Or at least my friends seem to think so. Supposedly, only insane people enjoy 5 mile runs. I guess that makes me a certifiable nutcase.
So here's a list of the top 10 things I absolutely love and couldn't live without (not including those cheesy ones like air/family/religion. Those are obvious and tell you nothing about me):

  1. Running
  2. Books (The Hunger Games, anyone? The movie finally came out yesterday and I am psyched!)
  3. My iPod- complete with Taylor Swift, Casting Crowns, and One Direction. I'm such a typical teenage girl.
  4. CHOCOLATE. 'Nuff said
  5. A good sharp pencil. Nothing makes me angrier than really inky pens, lost erasers, or those little stubby pencils that lots of kids write with. But a rant on that later....
  6. My Blender!
  7. Oats/Oatmeal. Something about it just warms your heart.
  8. Coffee. I'm an addict. 
  9. The Big Bang Theory. That TV show just about makes my life.
  10. Crossword Puzzles. Really, any puzzles for that matter. I'm not the hugest sudoku fan, which is blasphemy to about 1/2 the world, but to me it takes no real knowledge. Skill, certainly, and logic. And maybe there's also that tiny piece about me not being great at them...


So there's my life in a nutshell. Question of the day (leave in a post at the bottom, please) : What 10 things could you not live without?

Alright, alright, now you're saying, "Okay, just get on with it. Where's the recipe, Sarah? I like food. I thought this was a FOOD blog!"

You're right.

Time for the nom noms.

Seeing as how this is my first blog post EVER, I'll start with something kind of simple. AKA, something that I can't mess up and totally screw up my future blogging career (I get ahead of myself really easily, can you tell?) Drum roll please.......
Yummy, huh?


CHOCOLATE ESPRESSO ENERGY BALLS (Vegan/Raw)

Ingredients
1/3 Cup Almond Paste (You can make your own, as I did, by letting almond butter sit around for a while and draining all excess oil. Repeat process several times until it is very thick and a little dry)
1 Scoop Chocolate Protein Powder (I used Designer Whey)
1/3 Cup Flax Seeds
About 1/3-1/2 Cup Coffee Beans (Whatever Roast You Prefer)
1 Cup Rolled Oats
2/3 Cup Almond Milk or Nondairy Milk of choice
2 packets Equal or Sugar-free Sweetener

Directions
Grind Flax Seeds with coffee beans in coffee grinder or food processor. (Do not worry if flax does not grind to a powder- my grinder really was only effective for the coffee beans, but it worked out fine because the whole flax seeds gave the balls a nice crunch.) Combine all ingredients except oats. Add oats in and stir until coated evenly and completely. You may wish to add or subtract some of the milk, depending on how much you need. Mixture should be just a little past 'barely wet', still somewhat sticky. Form into small balls and place on cookie sheet. Freeze 1-2 hours. Ready to eat then, or to be saved for later in fridge (NOT freezer... they get too hard. Or you can just unthaw them if you do want to keep them in the freezer...)

*Makes about 20 balls*

Healthy Information:
Per Ball (1/20 recipe): Calories: 65, Fat: 4g (Healthy fats, full of Omega 3s from flax seed), Carbohydrates: 7g, Fiber: 2g, Protein: 2g

No comments:

Post a Comment