Thursday, August 23, 2012

Cauliflower Pizza and Cleaning the Cupboard

Hooray! I did it! My OCD has been temporarily assuaged, until another family member comes along and moves something, of course, but I'm hoping that doesn't happen.
Just like Sonia and Heather challenged today, I reordered my kitchen cupboard. It looks a ton better and should help me cut down on some waste from buying extra packages when I already have some lying around!
See Everything in disarray? The open packages? The similar items on TOTALLY different shelves? Well, it bothered me. It may not look so bad, but IT WAS!
 So, after an intense hour in which I took out empty packages, combined half-full ones, sorted goods by use and flavor, and cleaned some disgusting sticky/moldy junk out (yes...I know. It made me sick to think that was in our cupboard. Maybe take a peek at what's hiding in YOURS...) it was much better.
You can't tell that much has changed in this picture...but it has

The Canned Foods all sorted out
ORGANIZED!
Nuts and Nut Butters...
And a nice little section for the Asian Food!
 I also discovered some nifty things that I didn't realize we had. I'm going to have to find uses for them, obviously :)
Sour Cherry 'Spoon Fruit'
Tikka Masala Mix- okay, so not 'weird' but I could do so many things with this...
Well, after cleaning everything out, my stomach was telling me it was time for dinner. Something that had been intriguing me for quite a while was Cauliflower Crust Pizza. Since we had a head of cauliflower on hand, I decided to give it a try. HOWEVER, I neglected to check and see if we had every ingredient necessary (no eggs or cheese, which make up a good portion of the ingredients!) so I had to make some modifications. Surprisingly, they worked! I felt so proud and creative I almost cried. I'm learning how to actually cook! I never thought I'd see the day!

TOTALLY GREEK CAULIFLOWER CRUST PIZZA
Adapted from here

FOR THE CRUST
1/3 Head of Cauliflower
1/4 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
1 tsp. McCormick Rosemary+Sundried Tomato Seasoning

MY TOPPINGS
Zucchini Coins
Sliced Tomato
EVOO
Toasted Pine Nuts
Balsamic Vinegar


Pre baking (round 2)

 1. Make 'Cauliflower Rice'. This is done by taking the florets of your cauliflower and cutting off ALL bits of the stem to the best of your ability, leaving only the heads. Grind these up until the heads look like a fluffy rice-y, grain-y meal. Many sites suggest using a food processor, but as mine was not working, I was able to do it by hand. Again- it takes longer but it got the job done!

2. Cook the 'rice' in the microwave, covered, on high for 6-8 minutes, stirring half way through.


3. Remove and let cool slightly. Press rice between paper towels to get out the excess water until your rice is nice and dry. Combine with Greek yogurt and spices.

 4. Form into 1 large pizza crust by patting it out, or make several smaller ones. (As a guideline, I ate the whole pizza for my dinner, but I suppose it would be more filling if there were eggs and cheese in the crust. Or maybe add some flax seed or bean flour?) Bake in pre-heated 450 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until a bit golden.

5. Remove and add your toppings. I artfully arranged my veggies, and while I put the pizza back in for it's final 5-10 minutes, I toasted up the pine nuts. After the pizza came back out, I topped it with these and then drizzled on some olive oil and balsamic vinegar. YUMMM. ENJOY!

Question of the Day: What's the Strangest thing in YOUR cupboard right now (and does it need to be cleaned?) ;) Please comment below!

ALSO: I'm starting yet another  a blogging initiative for all my foodie friends on Fridays. I'm going to call it Fast Food Fantasy Friday (4F Challenge). What's the scoop? We all have our weaknesses and cravings. So, on Fridays we will take a favorite item/drink/meal that we often get out at a restaurant, preferably a chain that readers will know, and make our own adaptations to it (bonus for healthy, cheap, and good tasting!) Who's with me? I'm going to work on designing something for it as well, if you join my challenge. Thanks, everyone! I know I'm just starting this blogging thing but I'm IN LOVE I'm IN LOVE AND I DON'T CARE WHO KNOWS IT! (Elf <3 )



No comments:

Post a Comment