Sunday, September 2, 2012

Spicy Roast Cauliflower

It's tough to choose a favorite vegetable. I realized this very recently, when someone asked me WHAT my favorite veggie was. I would have expected myself to have some immediate answer, but nothing was coming to me. I guess it's like choosing a favorite child...although I neither have children nor have any desire to currently! The closest I could come to naming a favorite was making a list (and lists are what I do best!) of some potential candidates:
  • Zucchini
  • Brussel Sprouts
  • Spaghetti Squash....actually all squash really :)
  • Salads
  • Cabbage
  • Water Chestnuts
  • Mushrooms
  • Baby Corn
  • Roasted Red Peppers
  • Snap Peas
  • FRESH tomatoes
  • Celery
And actually, this list could go on for quite a while. I won't continue it in the interest of time, but it's nice to know I've begun to outgrow my childhood pickiness. One veggie that HAS succeeded in making it through the long haul with me, though, is cauliflower. I was ALWAYS part of the clean-plate club when those steamed florets were served. So it is with great excitement that I continue to show off my old friend in a new way:
SPICY ROAST CAULIFLOWER
adapted from here

1 head cauliflower, washed and cut into florets
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Pinch chili flakes
1/4 tsp paprika
2-3 dashes salt
Dash pepper
1/4 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. Olive Oil

  1. Preheat oven to 400F.
  2. Pour oil into large ziploc baggie, then add cauliflower and shake to evenly coat. Open up baggie and add spices, shake around again to coat evenly one more time.
  3. Spread onto baking sheet and roast in oven for 40 minutes. It smells and tastes AMAZING, by the way! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment