Sunday, September 2, 2012

Sunday Spinach N' Veggie Rollups

Hello world! I have not totally begun to neglect my blog due to the immense stress of Junior year (yet.) I've been studying away for the flood of tests that has come to greet me this first week of school, and let me say it was quite a shock to the system. Luckily, since I had some free time this Sunday (and it's a blessed rest day...my legs are sighing with relief), it was back to the kitchen for me.

I've been busy pinning away on Pinterest, which is also an addiction of mine, looking for special things to adapt and create. Some of the most intriguing pins I found involved making tofu frittatas and scrambles, as though it were eggs.

Huh.

I couldn't just let that go by without trying something similar, so here's what I came up with to please my picky palate:
Wrap it up!
VEGAN SPINACH 'N VEGGIE WRAPS (with tofu!)
8 whole wheat wraps (you can make your own even!)

1 16oz package frozen microwaveable spinach
1 16oz package firm tofu, drained but not pressed
1 tsp. basil
1 T. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. celery salt
S+P, to taste

1 red pepper, chopped
3-4 stalks celery, chopped
1-2 tomatoes, chopped
Any veggies you want!

  1. Preheat oven to 350F and lightly spray or grease a cookie sheet
  2. Microwave spinach according to package directions
  3. In blender, combine tofu with spices and lemon juice. Puree for 1-2 minutes, then blend an additional 1-2 minutes until the entire mixture is creamy and there are no tofu chunks.
  4. Combine cooked spinach with tofu mixture until spinach is completely coated.


5. Lay out wraps and spread with a large scoop of spinach mixture. Sprinkle with desired veggies, and then roll up and lay side by side on baking sheet. Bake in oven for 20 minutes until spinach mixture starts to set and veggies get nice and tender. Serve warm or cold, but of course, ENJOY!
Little Pizzas?
DONE!

Each Wrap, depending on the tortilla/wraps that you use, has 200 calories, 10 grams protein, 5 grams fiber, 26 grams carbohydrates, and 6 grams of fat. Delicious and nutritious here I come!

QUESTION OF THE DAY: What do you do on your rest days? Do you flop on the couch and watch TV, or are you more the type who begins to get that itch to exercise anyway? I think for me it depends on the day. Often I have a really hard time NOT doing anything, so I'll go on a walk or a bike ride just to get out of the house, but today I was EXHAUSTED. Flopping on the couch (even with a textbook as my reading material) felt great!

No comments:

Post a Comment